5 Functional Home Improvements That Will Change Your Life
The best improvements are functional changes that stand the test of time.
Throughout the pandemic, a lot of people have been taking advantage of low interest rates to refinance their homes. Some have been taking out home equity lines of credit, and others have simply been looking for ways to make their homes fit their changing needs. Regardless of your situation, you may be needing or wanting to make some functional improvements to your home. Here are the top five we recommend:
1. Built-ins: Now that everybody is staying home more often, people need areas to store and organize things. Adding some built-in cabinets or shelving in your living spaces can add a lot of function (and value) to your home.
2. Banquet and bench seating: We’ve been seeing this in sunrooms, breakfast areas, and kitchens. These fixtures allow more people to sit and gather together, and some people even incorporate storage areas into their benches. It ends up being great for everyday use, as well as times when you want to entertain guests.
3. Walk-in shower: Essentially, these showers don’t have the “lip” that you normally have to step over. They look aesthetically pleasing but also increase accessibility, allowing older adults to age in place more easily.
"These home improvements can increase the value of your property in addition to creating functionality."
4. Mudrooms and dropzones: These are areas where, upon entering a home, people can keep their coats, shoes, and other items. They often include storage as well, and these areas allow people to keep the rest of their home clean and organized.
5. Home offices: For a lot of people, work-from-home is here to stay. The transition to remote work means many homeowners are in need of a dedicated office area, and it’s become a common trend for people to renovate bedrooms, living rooms, and other areas into comfortable workspaces.
Though styles change over the years, function usually lasts the test of time. As a bonus, however, these home improvements can increase the value of your property in addition to creating functionality. If you have any questions or would like more information about real estate, feel free to reach out to us. We look forward to hearing from you soon.